* Light, powerful and bristling with knowledge gained from years of racing, the YZF-R6 is the most advanced production 600cc motorcycle Yamaha - or anybody else - has ever built.
* The YZF-R6 was the ﬁrst production motorcycle with a ﬂy-by-wire throttle system for ﬂawless response under all conditions.
* YCC-I, Yamaha Chip Controlled Intake, is used on the R6 to vary intake tract length for excellent cylinder filling and a broader powerband. On the higher revving R6, its benefits are even more pronounced.
* Slipper-type back torque-limiting clutch greatly facilitates braking/downshifting from high speed.
* The YZF-R6 achieves fuel economy up to an estimated 40 mpg** with a fuel tank that holds 4.6 gallons of gas.
New for 2009:
* The Engine Control Unit (ECU) has remapped YCC-T settings to optimize power output in each gear, to achieve smooth, linear power delivery out of the turn, with excellent overall drivability.
* Compact, lightweight 67 x 42.5mm 599cc DOHC 16-valve liquid-cooled titanium-valved four-cylinder has a compression ratio of 13.1:1, for great response. Domed pistons with valve cutouts produce a compact combustion chamber.
* Fuel injection mapping for the YCC-T—Yamaha Chip Controlled Throttle dual-injector system complements the high compression ratio for great throttle response and reduced engine braking.
* YCC-I—Yamaha Chip Controlled Intake electronically varies intake funnel length for an amazinglyf broad, smooth powerband.
* A magnesium subframe removes weight from the rear of the motorcycle for increased mass centralization.
* Fork height adjustability and rear ride-height adjustment accommodates a great range of riders and tires.
* YCC-T uses a powerful ECU and multiple sensors to provide perfect, smooth engine response and optimal power whenever the throttle is twisted under all conditions.
* Twin-injector fuel injection: shower-type injectors above each intake funnel help achieve optimum fuel atomization at high rpm.
* Slipper-type back torque-limiting clutch greatly facilitates braking and downshifting from high speed. Close-ratio six-speed transmission delivers seamless power and maximum acceleration.
* GP-style titanium muffler contributes to mass centralization and contains EXUP® for a broad powerband, spot-on injection and emissions compliance.
* Linerless, direct-plated ceramic-composite cylinder bores mean greater heat dissipation for consistent power delivery and reduced friction.
* Cool magnesium valve and engine covers are light and stylish.
* Direct-ignition coils, dual-electrode spark plugs and high-output magneto deliver extremely accurate, reliable firing.
* Deltabox aluminum frame incorporates GP thinking in terms of engine positioning and rigidity for the ultimate in 600-class handling.
* A die-cast swingarm pivots high in the frame, for increased antisquat effect and mid-corner stability. TZ-type chain adjusters ease rear tire changes.
* Four-way adjustable (preload, high-speed compression, low-speed compression and rebound damping) inverted fork with 41mm tubes increases freedom in setting up for street or track use; soak up the bumps and resist bottoming when braking.
* Four-way adjustable (preload, high-speed compression, low-speed compression and rebound damping) piggyback rear shock delivers exceptional rear wheel tracking and stability.
* Dual 310mm front disc brakes use forged one-piece radial-mount calipers and radial-pump front master cylinder with adjustable lever for astounding braking power and feel.
* The casting technique for the five-spoke 17-inch wheels makes the rims light and strong, not to mention wickedly cool-looking.
* Built-in lap timer is controlled by a right handlebar switch.
* Multifunction digital and analog instrumentation features: programmable shift light, digital speedometer, analog tachometer, dual tripmeters with miles-on-reserve function, odometer, water temp gauge and lights for neutral, high beam, low fuel and turn signals.
$10,190 (Vivid Orange/Raven) Available from September 2008
$10,190 (Pearl White) Available from September 2008
$10,090 (Team Yamaha Blue/White) Available from September 2008
$9,990 (Raven) Available from September 2008
Type 599cc liquid-cooled inline 4-cylinder; DOHC, 16 titanium valves
Bore x Stroke 67.0 x 42.5mm
Compression Ratio 13.1:1
Fuel Delivery Fuel Injection with YCC-T and YCC-I
Ignition TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
Transmission 6-speed w/multi-plate slipper clutch
Final Drive Chain
Suspension/Front 41mm inverted fork; 4-way adjustable, 4.7-in travel
Suspension/Rear Single shock; 4-way adjustable, 4.7-in travel
Brakes/Front Dual 310mm floating disc; radial-mount 4-piston calipers
Brakes/Rear 220mm disc; single-piston caliper
Length 80.3 in
Width 27.6 in
Height 43.3 in
Seat Height 33.5 in
Wheelbase 54.3 in
Rake (Caster Angle) 24°
Trail 3.8 in
Oil Capacity (with oil filter change) 3.6 qt
Fuel Capacity 4.6 gal
Fuel Economy** 40 mpg
Wet Weight 414 lb
Main Jet Not Applicable
Main Air Jet Not Applicable
Jet Needle Not Applicable
Needle Jet Not Applicable
Pilot Air Jet 1 Not Applicable
Pilot Outlet Not Applicable
Pilot Jet Not Applicable
Primary Reduction Ratio 85/41 (2.073)
Secondary Reduction Ratio 45/16 (2.813)
Gear Ratio - 1st Gear 31/12 (2.583)
Gear Ratio - 2nd Gear 32/16 (2.000)
Gear Ratio - 3rd Gear 30/18 (1.667)
Gear Ratio - 4th Gear 26/18 (1.444)
Gear Ratio - 5th Gear 27/21 (1.286)
Gear Ratio - 6th Gear 23/20 (1.150)
Warranty 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
Don't Forget, Wear The Safety Stuff, and Keep Safety Riding.