MSRP* $7,999 (Deep Blue) Available from July 2008
$8,099 (Cadmium Yellow) Available from July 2008
* Fuel-injected, liquid-cooled, four-valve-per-cylinder engine boasts forged pistons, carburized connecting rods, and ceramic-composite plated cylinders. The TMAX has a 11.0:1 compression ratio; upswept muffler canister; CF die-cast aluminum frame; 43mm front forks; 4-piston mono-block caliper dual front disc brakes; rear disc brake; aluminum die cast wheels with radial H-rated tires; fully featured multifunction instrumentation with speedometer and tachometer; and radical new sports styling; with those credentials, it’s no wonder TMAX is the Super Sport Scooter.
* Horizontally positioned 499cc parallel twin, with reciprocating balancer, offers plenty of smooth power, enough for two-up touring at highway speeds. Configuration helps keep weight low in frame for mass centralization.
* Luxury scooter appointments include a double glove box in the streamlined front apron, a position-adjustable operator backrest, a storage box under the seat spacious enough for a large full-face helmet, and the excellent wind and weather protection that comes from the TMAX’s floorboard/ apron/windshield configuration.
* Continuously variable transmission connects engine power to the wet multiplate centrifugal clutch via a durable double-cog-type rubber V-belt. Silent chain efficiently transfers power to the rear wheel. This proven system, combined with TMAX’s ample power, gives a whole new meaning—and adrenaline level—to twist-and-go throttle operation.
* The TMAX achieves fuel economy up to an estimated 47 mpg** with a fuel tank that holds 4 gallons of gas.
* DOHC, four-valve-per-cylinder, 499cc parallel twin, liquid-cooled engine is horizontally mounted and performance engineered with forged pistons, carburized connecting rods and ceramic composite plated cylinders for plenty of tractable power. Also includes a horizontally opposed reciprocating balancer for uncommon smoothness.
* Lubrication is via a semi-dry-sump system with an oil cooler for longer engine life.
* Continuously variable transmission connects engine power to the wet multiplate centrifugal clutch via a durable double-cog-type rubber V-belt. Pivot coaxial drive shaft is used, allowing use of a swingarm separate from the powerplant for excellent handling. Two-stage, adjustment-free silent chain system then transfers power to the rear wheel.
* Muffler incorporates exhaust catalyst technology to reduce air pollution.
* Fuel tank emission system includes a charcoal canister to control gasoline evaporation and reduce air pollution.
* Using technology proven in Yamaha’s sportbike line, TMAX has a lightweight, CF die-cast aluminum frame that provides rigidity and balance for superb handling.
* Motorcycle-type telescopic front forks use beefy 43mm tubes.
* 15-inch cast aluminum wheels front and rear are fitted with radial tires for excellent, sporty handling.
* Front double disk brakes with four-pod mono block calipers.
* Pin-slide, one pod rear brake caliper with parking brake system.
* Brake lever is adjustable for operator comfort.
* Rear seat is hinged for easy opening. Underseat storage is spacious enough to store a large full-face helmet.
* Electronic fuel-injection system provides sure starts and excellent performance in virtually all conditions and altitudes.
* Bright, headlights and taillight take their styling cues from Yamaha sportbikes.
Type 499cc liquid-cooled 4-stroke, forwardinclined
Bore x Stroke 66.0 x 73.0 mm
Compression Ratio 11:1
Fuel Delivery Electronic fuel injection
Clutch Type Wet, multiple-disc automatic centrifugal
Ignition Digital TCI
Transmission CVT double-cog V-belt auto
Final Drive V-belt
Suspension/Front 43mm telescopic forks
Brakes/Front 267mm disc
Brakes/Rear 267mm disc
Tires/Front 120/70-15 67H Radial
Tires/Rear 160/60-15 67H Radial
Length 86.4 in
Width 30.5 in
Height 56.9 in
Seat Height 31.5 in
Wheelbase 62.2 in
Ground Clearance 4.9 in
Fuel Capacity 4.0 gal
Fuel Economy** 47 mpg
Wet Weight 489 lb
Warranty 1 Year (Limited Factory Warranty)
Don't Forget, Wear The Safety Stuff, and Keep Safety Riding.